Words can’t describe the feeling This Was A Dover Day

Forums Forums DINO’S PHOTO PICK OF THE WEEK Words can’t describe the feeling This Was A Dover Day

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    dino
    Keymaster

This shot by Terry just tells it all…. The Stars cars are unloaded for pre-race viewing. It’s about 9:30 am…plenty of cars are still in tech ,but the pits are filling up. I’m having a famous snack stand Coffee in the Tower (strained through a dirty sock), while Frank puffs on a cigarette…. Ready early as always with the timing equipment warming up. I look out the main gate, and the flat-towed cars are out to the street…theres Antone’s fifties panel truck with the Coupe in tow…Shott is pulling in …. Casey is in line as is Lee V. and Dad…and Mone is at the pit pass booth.. Ok, all the regulars Are here…Al is wandering around doing his usual Smile & shake hands as our official greeter. Cars wanting that first Time Trial are already in the lanes…..and the Spectator stands are filling up.Today we’ll get a massive doze of Nitro up our nose as the THE California Fuelers are ‘In The House”…The Snake and TV Tommy are about to do battle. the ground WILL shake…you will hold your ears …. Any time soon the Pa will crackle on and Al will take his place in his “doghouse”.I’ll say …”Good Morning and Welcome To Dover…. the fast track in the east …sunday will never be the same …Attention in the Pits& other parts of your body…. Gentleman fire em up “! But Its the Feeling in the air…can’t discribe it. no other track had ‘That “Feeling” of anticipation- we waited all week for this …in smelly little garages ,with our head under a hood…got up way too early to hook up the tow bar…….friendly faces ….favorite cars …. its was a weekly family reunion….the suns out ….the crisp ‘valley’ air…the magnificent mountian view ……. ah those were the days . . . . .

……………..To View THIS day and notice ALL the familiar faces Click Here:
        http://doverdragstrip.com/video/bvteaser.wmv

You’ll see the Fuelers at about 1:13…Right After Casey takes a Run

Attachments:

jackman
        Participant

TV Tommy Ivo, Don Prudomme amazing the top name racer were at Dover and the track still closed, bummer.

dino
            Keymaster

WE had them all…..Garlits 4 times….Kalitta- the Greek -Don the beachcomber-Mongoose-Borsh-Beebe & Mulligan- Paula Murphy- Pete Robinson-Mazmanian-Pittman-Ohio George -Wild Bill Shrewsbery-Hurst Hemi under Glass- Art Arfons-and on & on…Jets-Wheelstanders-Funny cars up the kazoo…name a famous 60’s-70’s “star”…. we had them.

jackman
                Participant

Dang I missed the party.

hvy70ss
                    Participant

Dino…do you have any idea the year of that Super 8mm video? The clips of Willy Borsch and the Italian Way (Terenzio) look real familiar to me as I saw Willy run there with that fake arm on the side of the car.

Smitty

dino
                        Keymaster

That video is a couple of days spliced together…the Day Borsch was there with the Funny is the weekend the car was on Display At M&M Speed. Preety Sure it was Aug 25 ’74.Billy Meyer was Booked to Run Don Schumacher.Meyer canceled and was replaced with Borsch.Then Schumacher Broke …hence the Terenzios put in as replacement.

Attachments:

hvy70ss
                            Participant

That confirms it. I WAS there. I got Schumakers autograph on a handout card. It was a yellow Vega F/C. Sold the card on Ebay a few years ago. Yeah…that feeling, I know what you mean. Being I was on the west side of the Hudson River we used to go up the Taconic , take the Pawling exit to Rt 55 and up over the hill and left turn into the track. The excitement started climbing when, as you paid to get in, you saw the flopper bodies propped up in the pits on the left. Priceless!

Bobby Smith

dino
                                Keymaster

Sold it EBAY …shame on you.

dino
                                    Keymaster

Smitty …proof he was there Sept 74 on this shot , made this run and Blew.

Attachments:

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.