LARSEN FORD A/FX ’65 MUSTANG Found !

Forums Forums OLD RACE CAR LOCATOR LARSEN FORD A/FX ’65 MUSTANG Found !

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    dino
    Keymaster

Historically Significant 1965 Ford Mustang A/FX Holman/Moody Race Car Offered at Russo and Steele
        One of the five original 1965 A/FX cars that have been discovered is for sale at Russo and Steele’s auction event in Scottsdale this January 14-18, 2009.
        Featured at the 9th Annual Russo and Steele Scottsdale auction, January 14-18, 2009 is this original 1965 Ford Mustang A/FX Holman/Moody Race Car. The history of this automobile started shortly following the production release of the well-known Mustang in 1965, Ford Motor Company commissioned Andy Hotten’s Dearborn Steel Tubing to build. The Mustang would be built solely for drag racing in the NHRA’s new A/FX class. On completion, the first A/FX Prototype was shipped to Holman & Moody; Ford’s official racing contractor in Charlotte, NC. After dissecting the prototype, Lee Holman made some refinements and proceeded to churn out approximately ten copies. These 1965 A/FX Mustangs were piloted by NHRA stars including Dick Brannen, Gas Ronda, Bill Lawton, Paul Norris, Bob Hamilton, Phil Bonner, Les Ritchey, Len Richter, Clester Andrews, Bill Ireland, and Al Joniec.
        LOOK AT THIS !!!!!!!!
        The car on offer here is as originally delivered in factory original Poppy Red paint and was raced originally by Larsen Ford and Bob Hamilton with great success during the 1965 season and later as the ‘Jersey Rattler’. Under the hood, the original SOHC engine topped by a rare fuel injection setup is retained along with all the original front twist-leaf front suspension components. It is also notable that of all the known cars that survive to this day, this particular example is the only one not to have been ‘modified’ back to its stock Mustang rear wheel location per the 1966 NHRA rules and retains its as-built Holman & Moody 105″ wheelbase for which it was originally designed.
        Verified by both Lee Holman and Bob Hamilton alike in the last few years and accompanied by a bulletproof sheaf of documentation about its past, this incredible survivor will be the centerpiece of a top-tier Ford collection.
        In addition to this historically significant 1965 Ford Mustang A/FX Holman/Moody Race Car Russo and Steele Scottsdale auction event will also offer a range of highly elusive, legendary, and the never before offered at auction collector automobiles. Please visit http://www.russoandsteele.com to view a variety of featured consignments.

For additional information or images please contact Stephanie Quinn at Stephanie@russoandsteele.com or 602.252.2697

About Russo and Steele Collector Automobile Auctions
        Russo and Steele Collector Automobiles is one of the nation’s premier collector car auctions; specializing in the world’s finest European sports cars, American muscle cars, hot rods and customs. Its three auctions each year attract clients all over the globe not only because of its reputation for stellar collector automobiles, but also unique auction experiences unattainable at any other collector car auction in the world. Its auction events take place with its signature auction in Scottsdale, Arizona every January, Scottsdale, and California in August. Additional information please visit http://www.russoandsteele.com or call 602.252.2697.

HERE IT IS !THEN and NOW >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> 😀

Attachments:

bossguy

I remember that car. I wonder what it sold for?

cullyflower

I was at Cecil County Dragway one day when the Jersey Rattler was there. When they fired it up ready to do
                the burnout the throttle stuck wide open and they blew the bottom end out of the cammer into a pile under the
                car. So it’s not the original engine but still a really nice car.

cullyflower

A photo of the Jersey Rattler.

Attachments:

bossguy

I just went to the russo and steele site (I had to register) and could not find this car. I did word search using 65,A/FX, Mustang, SOHC, Race, Larson and nothing came up. I looked over the Scottsdale results posted car by car and nothing. I wonder if it didn’t sell?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.